Monday, November 11, 2013

Make it Mondays: Walnut Streusel Bread


For my first "Make it Monday" post, I thought it would be appropriate to share a bread recipe with you all. As we approach the holiday season and the temperature begins to drop FAST, I find myself baking more  in order to "cope". At least once a week from November until the spring, I bake some sort of bread as a way to warm up. And believe me these breads get devoured fast! Therefore, my suggestion to you is to make sure that you set aside a big piece for yourself. You may even want to hide it! It's amazing how quickly your family and friends turn into raccoons scouring a trashcan when they like something. 

 Last night, we had our first fire of the season in the fireplace and so I wanted to make the house feel even  cozier by baking a bread that smelled delicious. Walnut streusel is my dad's favorite bread and since he was asleep by the time I was done baking  (8:30pm), I left him a big piece by his car keys for breakfast in the morning.


For this particular bread, I had only made a full fat version prior to last night. This time, however, I wanted to try substituting certain ingredients for more healthier versions. My dad is not one to like "healthy" tasting foods and so I knew that I could not substitute for flavor. In my opinion, when you are trying to satisfy a craving, you need to fully satisfy it. With great success, no one could tell the difference! I hope you all enjoy this recipe and curl up with a blanket, your favorite TV show (the Voice is tonight!), and enjoy the smell of sweet cinnamon fill up your whole house as the bread bakes. Hey, you may even grow a little more comfortable with the idea that winter is upon us. 

Have a wonderful Monday and I look forward to sharing many more "Make It Mondays" with you all!       
                                                                                                                                 Printable Version
Yields: 1 9x5 loaf*
Prep Time: 15 min.


Ingredients
Streusel:
1/3 c. packed brown sugar
1/3 c. oats
1 t. flour
Dash of sea salt
1/4 t. cinnamon
2 T. unsalted butter
2 T. chopped walnuts*
Bread:
2 c. of flour*
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
5 T. unsalted butter*
2/3 c. Sugar in the Raw
3 large eggs
1 t. vanilla extract
1 c. buttermilk*

*serves approx. 14
*If you wish to leave out the walnuts, just add 1/4 t. more of cinnamon and make it cinnamon streusel bread.
*I used 1 c. of all-purpose flour with 1 c. of whole wheat flour.
*I "healthified" the butter portion by replacing 2 T. of unsalted butter with 2 T. of unsweetened applesauce.
*Make Your Own Buttermilk: Pour 1 t. of white vinegar into a measuring cup and add milk (I used unsweetened coconut) to the 1 c. line. Let sit for 5 min.

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350̊ F.
  2. Make the Streusel: Combine the first 5 ingredients. Mix in the butter (melted) until well combined. Stir in the walnuts and set aside.
  3. Make the Bread: Combine the dry ingredients (up to salt) in a medium bowl and whisk well, set aside. In a large bowl, beat in the butter (melted) with the sugar at medium speed, until well-combined. Beat in the eggs and vanilla, 1 at a time. Turning the mixer to a low speed, add in your flour mixture and buttermilk alternately, beginning and ending with your flour mixture.
  4. Finishing Touches: Scrape half of the bread batter into a greased loaf pan; sprinkle half of the streusel mixture on top. Spread the remaining batter over the streusel. Sprinkle remaining streusel on top. Bake for 50 min or until the toothpick comes out of the center clean. (I baked the bread in two small loaf pans and so it took only 30 minutes to bake).
  5. Let cool for 10 minutes in the pan and put a piece aside for yourself before chaos commences in your kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment