Monday, December 2, 2013

Make It Mondays: Crockpot Chicken Philly Cheesesteak Subs


Recently, my friend Lauren went to Philadelphia for the weekend. When she returned, she described to me in detail the ooey-gooey, deliciousness of the Philly Cheesesteak that she enjoyed while visiting there. And so I found myself with a serious case of food envy. And unfortunately, I'm not headed to Philly any time soon.

  I knew that there was only one way to kill this food craving. I would have to re-create that classic Philly Cheesesteak for myself... in my Boston kitchen. I wanted to pack this thing with the same major flavor as the original, while "healthifying" it a bit. That's when I came up with the idea to substitute the steak for chicken and throw in a can of beer. By cooking the chicken in the crockpot, the flavors could really set in.


I am a firm believer that little touches really do make a major difference between enjoying just an ordinary ol' dinner and experiencing a very special meal. The "extra touches" for this dish included finding a block of white cheddar cheese from the specialty cheese section of the grocery store and toasting the bread in the oven prior to serving. However, these final touches don't need to cost a lot of extra money. In fact, the white cheddar cheese was priced only $1 dollar than a grocery-store brand bag of shredded cheddar cheese.

Chicken Philly Cheese Steak, Makes 6 large subs

Ingredients:
  •  1 diced ,large yellow onion
  • 1 diced, yellow pepper
  • 1  diced, green pepper
  • 2 garlic cloves (minced)
  • 4 frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts 
  • 2 t. paprika
  • 1 t. sea salt 
  • 1 t. pepper
  • 8 oz of your favorite beer 
  • 8 oz of freshly grated cheddar cheese 
  • 6 soft sub rolls
  • 1 T. melted butter
  • Sliced provolone cheese

Directions:
  1.  Mix together the paprika, sea salt, and pepper. Rub onto the chicken breasts and set aside.
  2. In the bottom of the crockpot, layer the onions and peppers. Add garlic evenly on top. Place chicken on top and pour a can of beer over the chicken. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. 
  3. Prior to 15 minutes before serving, shred the chicken in the crockpot using a fork or tongs. Mix and toss the chicken together with the onions, peppers, and garlic. Cook for the additional 15 more minutes.
  4. Turn the crockpot to the warm or off setting. Stir in the grated white cheddar cheese and let sit for 5 minutes.
  5. To toast bread: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brush each sub roll with butter and layer with slices of provolone cheese. Place open sub rolls on a baking sheet and toast for 12 minutes (or until the cheese is browned and bubbly). 
  6. Place your Chicken mixture onto each toasted sub and add whatever condiments you like. (I like mine with banana peppers.)

I am really glad that I experimented with this recipe.The chicken was very flavorful, left the whole house smelling delicious, and was certainly a lot cheaper way of fulfilling my craving than the cost for a plane ticket to Philly. 

If there's a   food dish that you are longing for, let me help you re-create it! Leave a comment below or email me at creativelylu@yahoo.com and you can be a part of the Make it Monday series!

 As always, make it a great Monday everyone! Below is your  daily dose of inspiration. 
Photo Courtesy of: Liz McDonald

*To find out when the post goes up each day and the topic, please like the Creatively Lu FB page, and Follow @Creatively Lu on Instagram and Twitter.





No comments:

Post a Comment